Pages

June 09, 2022

A Day in the Life of a Teaching Assistant

A few months ago, I was asked to be a teaching assistant (TA) for my co-op's summer camp. I talked it over with my parents and was planning on it. Then, not long after that, the person who had contacted me ended up switching jobs to fill-in for a teacher who had to leave half way through the year. I didn't hear anything else about it, and I kind of assumed that I wouldn't be a TA after all.
    Surprise! Two weeks ago, I received a text-message from the camp director, asking if I was still interested in becoming a TA. I quickly filled out the forms I needed to, and got to join the group of other TAs and counselors at the summer camp! This week happens to be the first of five weeks of camp. So, here is a post about what my typical day looks like (Monday through Thursday, anyways). Hope you enjoy!

6:45 A.M. ~ My day starts around 6:45 a.m. I get up, get ready for the day, and pack my lunch if I need one (on some days I eat the food that the camp provides, but on some days I bring my own).

7:25 A.M. ~ At around 7:25, I leave the house and take the 45-minute drive across town to the camp. It's a far drive, but many of the things we do are far away, so I'm used to it now. I just recently got my drivers license, so now I get to drive myself.

8:10 A.M. ~ I usually arrive around 8:10, but it depends on the traffic (and how early I left, obviously). I do my Bible reading for the day, since I don't need to be inside until 8:30.

8:25 A.M. ~ After I finish reading, and I notice more people arriving, I go to the office to pick up my lanyard and meet the other TAs and counselors. Once students start to arrive, we break up and go to our separate jobs.

8:45-8:50 A.M. ~ The first group of students (3rd Graders) comes to our room. 

9:00 A.M. ~ Class starts. I'm helping in the creative movement room, so I help my teacher lead a short warm-up of jumping jacks, etc. Next we play some games where the students get to run around and move. We also demonstrate some short pieces of easy choreography for the students to learn, such as jumping and snapping their fingers to music. 

    There are six different classes throughout the day. We teach students from 2nd grade all the way to high school. Each class is around 50 minutes to an hour long. We get a 15 minute snack break and 30 minute lunch break each day.

3:00 P.M. ~ The last class leaves. After cleaning up any stray waters, etc., I go back to the office to drop off my lanyard and do any last minute things I need to do before leaving. Then, I go back to my car, which is always steaming after sitting in the summer heat all day. Sometimes I want to stick a thermometer in the car, just to find out how hot it really is!

    The air-conditioning doesn't work very well in the car I'm driving, which makes driving home a little interesting. I roll down the windows a little bit to help, but it's at least 100 degrees outside, so it doesn't do much. At least get a breeze.

And that pretty much sums up my day! When I get up in the morning, I wonder why I'm doing this. It's early to get up and a long day. But when I get to class and see everyone's smiling faces, and hear their laughter, and have children come up to me, who just want to talk to talk to someone, it makes it worth it.

Linnea 

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."

Ecclesiastes 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment